Monday, February 13, 2012

Second Guessing

The problem I have with buying furniture while the house is under construction is that I have months to second guess my choices. Delivery is scheduled for next Monday, and I'm like 70% sure I want to change the dining room set. I know the people at Macy's are going to be mad because they've been storing the set we picked out since the end of November, but it was a floor model and not a custom order, so it could be worse.

I think the set we chose initially is very pretty and I still like it, but it's just the wrong style (and it's pretty small).
I'm leaning towards this...
Macy's describes it as, "Rustic farmhouse design with a modern edge." Sounds good to me. My only concern is how the wood will look with our floors, but an area rug would probably solve that problem. I'm also not a huge fan of the table legs, but I don't hate them either. Even though we would still have 6 chairs, the table is about 10" longer and would fill the room a bit more.

So, time for questions...Opinions on the new set? Should we get the matching buffet or put this piece that we already bought in the dining room (originally planning to put it in the kitchen)?
I'm waiting until we're in the house to buy any accent or decor pieces. I did find a rug for the office that I'm in love with, but I'm going to wait to order it until the furniture is set-up so I can figure out which size will work best.
I'm terrible at visualizing what things will look like in a room so I usually end up buying one of everything, taking it home to see what works, and then returning the leftovers (e.g., I bought 2 duvet covers this past weekend). I've been looking in stores and online, but I've had no luck finding any curtains yet. I like this pair from Crate & Barrel, I'd just prefer the stripe be a little more taupe.
I really like this look, so if anyone comes across panels with a wide horizontal stripe while you're shopping for your new home, let me know.

8 comments:

  1. The first set is very elegant, the other set is the opposite and very rustic. So you would need to think about the look you are trying to achieve.

    For curtains, I found these two similar ones (the second is very sheer, though:

    http://www.wayfair.com/DR-International-Sabrina-Grommet-Panel-in-Champagne-Taupe-S2GCT-12-9232-DQT1562.html?refid=FR49-DQT1562

    http://www.lnt.com/show_product/491183-297/?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_term=491183-323#color=Taupe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Gina's statement. We've found a great tool that helps you layout and visualize your furniture and its being a great help to us, come check us out. -- Ericka

    http://ravennaroad.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like both sets but they are very different styles. Maybe try to think about style flow in the furniture through the lower level?

    I love love love the rug too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Def love the rug....does anyone speak french?

      Delete
    2. I don't speak French, but there is a translation on the website under, "more details."

      http://www.ballarddesigns.com/le-poeme-indoor-2foutdoor-rug/rugs/top-sellers/13282

      Delete
  4. Both sets of furniture are nice, but maybe you could find a nice happy medium. You kind of went from super elegant to rustic. Maybe something still white but not as fancy? You've toned it down this way, and can still use the piece you already purchased. Just a thought.

    Rug is NICE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking for the exact same curtains - cream and taupe horizontal stripes. Who knew something so simple would be so hard to fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up going with drapes from JCPenney. They aren't exactly what I was looking for, but the color and style (horizontal stripe) was similar.

      http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-SqPuak6p7_s/T3IaDXYEKZI/AAAAAAAABJs/JJjd7_H4AaU/s400/DSC05206.JPG

      Delete